Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Gluten Free Homemade Twix Bars

Pin It

                     Homemade Twix Bars



Oh my gosh who doesn't love a Twix Bar?  Well, I can honestly say, that every  Halloween I would buy the giant bags of candy from Costco with the Twix in the bag, and single handily eat all of the Twix(these were the bite size)!  However within a two week period those babies would VANISH, and I never felt bad!!!  Sadly, this year there would be no more Twix, until I found on Pinterest others loved them too.  Soooo, I decided it was time to make some homemade Twix and enjoy them once again!  Oh baby, they were SO STINKING GOOD, I missed them!!  They were so good I couldn't keep my kids, and husband away from them either.  The best part is, these are easy to make, and freeze like a dream!  I hope you enjoy them as much as I did, Natalie


Crust-

Ingredients:

-2 cubes softened butter(1 cup or 8oz)

-1/2 cup sugar

-2 cups Pamela's Bread

-2 tsp baking powder

  Beat the butter and sugar until they are creamed, then add the baking powder and flour, mix just until combined.  Take the batter and pat it down into the prepared pan, when it is cooked it will have a  golden color.  Cool completely.

   

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spray the bottom of a 9x13 pan,and then line it with parchment paper and have it go up over the sides for easy removal of the shortbread crust.  Bake for 23-26min until it is golden brown, you want it a little crispy.

 

  Caramel Layer-

-60 Kraft Caramels(unwrapped)my husband likes a lot of caramel

-6 TBS Heavy cream

Put all of the caramels into a medium pot and turn it on medium low heat, stir as they melt and add in the cream.  Continue stirring until it is all smooth and creamy, about 15-20 min then pour it on to the short bread crust  and smooth out.  Let them cool for 30-45 min in the fridge.

 

Chocolate Layer-

-1 bag (12 oz) semi-sweet  Gluten Free chocolate chips

-1 tsp Crisco 

Use a microwave safe bowl , pour the chocolate chips into the bowl and heat in 30 second intervals, make sure and stir in between each time.  The Crisco is to help thin the chocolate and make it more spreadable, nasty sounding but necessary!  When it is all smooth pour onto the CARAMEL, and smooth it and make it as even as possible.  When this is done put into the fridge or freezer to chill and set. 

     

 

 




Make sure and cute with a serrated knife, also let them warm up a bit or they will all crack like my bars below!  Not really pretty, but they taste good all the same.




 

9 comments:

thebuffster said...

Pamela's Bread Mix or Pamela's Bread Mix and Four Blend?

Natalie said...

thebuffster, I use Pamela's Bread Mix, for Bagels, pie crust, pizza and more. Not the new one, they just came out with. Thanks for the question. Natalie

Unknown said...

Does walmart carry Pamela's bread mix? If not what can be substituted in it's place?

Natalie said...

Kelsea, i don't know if you can buy Pamela's at Walmart, but I know you can get it at most health food stores and order it on Amazon. If you order it on Amazon you can set it up to be delivered whenever you want and it's free shipping. I hope this helps, Natalie

Kelly said...

Sounds (and looks) delicious. I have a question, though: what is meant by "cubes" of butter? Want to make these for my niece so thanks in advance for your help!

Angela said...

Yes what is meant my "cubes" of butter? What measurement?
Thanks!

Natalie said...

Hi Kelly, Angela and Jeffrey! A cube of butter is 1/2 cup of butter, or 4oz. So sorry about this, I will fix this problem right now! Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Natalie

JustMeinIN said...

I can't use Pamela's due to an ingredient allergy. Can I use a different bread mix?

Natalie said...

@JustMeinIN , I haven't tried another bread mix with this, but make sure you add your Zantham Gum, and it does Not have baking powder or baking soda already in the mix. Natalie P.S. let us know how it turns out if you would please.